Arturia just renewed its drum machine line with DrumBrute Impact, an exciting new analog drum synth that combines raw, energetic sounds, advanced sequencing, and fast, fun workflow into an addictive little powerhouse.
Featuring attitude-packed, tweakable analog drums sounds, an all-new “Color” layer, output distortion, and arguably the best sequencer on the planet, DrumBrute Impact promises to redefine the way you create rhythm, drums, and percussion, both in the studio and on stage.
In the sound department, DrumBrute Impact features 10 sounds accessible through 8 responsive performance pads:
- KICK : pounding bass drum with nice attack transients and variable pitch and decay. protocol. (FYI: if you’re wondering, it’s an improved version of the not so popular original Drumbrute kick)
- SNARE 1 : a big-bodied snare with great, editable snap and decay.
- SNARE 2 : a trashy snare with a hint of clap, with adjustable tone and decay.
- TOM HIGH : simple but powerful high tom with sweepable pitch.
- TOM LOW : pants-shaking low tom that can get so low you could use it as a 2nd kick.
- CYMBAL : zingy, metallic crash with adjustable decay.
- COWBELL : a simple but effective percussive cowbell.
- CLOSED HAT : hard-hitting hat with variable tone that also effects the Open Hat.
- OPEN HAT : open up the hat sound with changeable decay with a mute controlled by the Closed Hat.
- FM DRUM : a percussive synth voice with adjustable carrier pitch, decay, FM amount, and mod pitch. (nice bonus!)
To add another dimension to its sound, versatility, and sequencing possibilities, DrumBrute Impact also features a “COLOR” layer, letting you create dramatic changes to the sound on the fly.
This can be activated channel by channel, or programmed using the sequencer, and generates unique tonal changes in the drum sounds. Add drive to the Kick, change the tone of the Cymbal, max out the pitch envelope of the FM Drum, “COLOR” gives DrumBrute Impact another level of creative possibilities.
True to its nature, DrumBrute Impact also features a drum-optimized distortion on the output bus, with a simple “gain” knob and an on-off switch.
Using the same sequencing know-how that brought the world the award-winning Spark series, DrumBrute, and BeatStep Pro, Arturia have infused some serious step-sequencing power into their latest Brute.
DrumBrute Impact features a polyrhythmic 64-step, song-capable sequencer supported by a host of easy-to-use performance controls. Add Swing, inject some Randomness, glitch it up with a Step Repeater, quickly spice up patterns with the Roller, add Accents, and even record Unquantized should you wish.
DrumBrute Impact also gives you comprehensive connectivity, with 4 extra output busses for postprocessing or multi-tracking, Clock in and out to sync with vintage or modular gear, MIDI in and out to sync up with contemporary synths and outboard, and USB for perfect integration with your DAW and the Arturia MCC, which also gives you access to extra customizations behind the scenes.
If you’re looking for an analog drum synth with a fun sequencer, that is compact and very affordable, the Drumbrute Impact is really attractive. Time will tell if it’s also sturdy and reliable, if your plan is to gig with it.
Needless to say, if you’re into sampled sounds, parameter locks and more esoteric stuff, this is not your cup of tea.
Pricing & Availability:
DrumBrute Impact will retail for $349/299 €. It is available to preorder now, and will arrive in music stores worldwide during August 2018.
Find more information at the DrumBute Impact product page.
DISCLOSURE: Our posts may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we receive a commission.