Wait, a Stylophone DS-2 Analog Drone Synthesizer? The Dubreq team is on a roll these days (see our Stylophone Theremin feature)! The creators of the original pocket synthesizer, have been a unique voice in the music tech industry since 1968. Known for their iconic Stylophone, Dubreq has sold over 4 million units since its launch, making it one of the best-selling musical instruments of all time. The company, which was reformed in 2003 by Ben Jarvis, the son of the original inventor Brian Jarvis, has continued to innovate and release new products that cater to the evolving needs of musicians and sound designers.
The latest addition to their innovative product line is the Stylophone DS-2 Analog Drone Synthesizer. This new synth is part of Dubreq’s compact portable modular (CPM) range and represents a significant step forward in their offerings. The DS-2 is designed to be a powerful tool for creating endless soundscapes, pulsating rhythms, and cosmic exploration, all within a portable and flexible format.
Features of the Stylophone DS-2 Analog Drone Synthesizer
The DS-2 is packed with features that make it a versatile instrument for a wide range of musical applications:
- Dynamic Waveform Blending: Allows for the creation of complex and evolving sounds.
- Multiple Oscillators: Includes 2 analog 3340 oscillators and 2 analog sub oscillators for rich tonal possibilities.
- Multimode Filters: Equipped with 2 analog 3320 filters to shape the sound.
- Modulation Universe: Offers 14 analog LFO waveforms, 2 LFO wave selectors, 7 LFO routing switches, and 5 LFO depth attenuverters for extensive modulation options.
- Vintage Effects: Features 8 vintage AL3201 reverb algorithms and 1 vintage PT2399 delay with modulation to add depth and character to the sound.
- Connectivity and Compatibility: Comes with 12 modular patch points, 2 stereo outputs, and is Eurorack compatible, making it a great addition to any modular setup.
- Built-in Speaker and Power Options: Includes a built-in speaker and can be powered by mains, battery, or incorporated into a Eurorack case, ensuring portability and flexibility in use.
Availability and Pricing
The Stylophone DS-2 Analog Drone Synthesizer is now available for pre-order, with no upfront payment required. Musicians can secure their DS-2 for approximately $259, €239, or £209, making it an accessible option for those looking to expand their sonic palette.
Conclusion and Alternatives To The Stylophone DS-2 Drone Synthesizer
It will be intriguing to see how Dubreq’s new venture, the Stylophone DS-2, unfolds, as it represents a departure from their usual offerings. Indeed, it’s an exciting time for synth enthusiasts, given the rapidly expanding selection of affordable, entry-level instruments that don’t compromise on sound quality and fun.
Here are other sub $300 compact semi-modular synthesizers that you might find interesting:
- Behringer Neutron: This synthesizer offers a pure analog signal path, based on authentic VCO, VCF, VCA, and ladder filter designs. It includes flexible oscillators with 5 waveforms, and a multi-mode VCF with dual output.
- Korg Volca Modular: This synth is a semi-modular analog synthesizer in the compact Volca format. It’s designed for experimental sounds and unusual effects, making it a unique addition to any setup.
- Moog Werkstatt: This is a patchable and compact, one-oscillator analog synthesizer. It’s a great way to learn about synthesis, and it’s also a very capable mono-synth in its own right.
- Cre8audio West Pest: This synthesizer offers a unique take on West Coast style synthesis, known for its emphasis on additive synthesis and complex waveforms. It’s designed to be approachable for beginners while still offering depth for more experienced users.
DISCLOSURE: Our posts may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we receive a commission.