In the realm of music production, the management of audio plugins can often be as complex as the creative process itself. Enter Wide Blue Sound’s Audio Plugin Uninstaller (now at v1.1), a tool that has quickly become indispensable for Mac-based musicians and producers. The Audio Plugin Uninstaller is a standalone app compatible with all major audio plugin formats, including AAX, AU, CLAP, RTAS, VST, and VST3.
Following a soft launch that garnered positive attention, Wide Blue Sound (known to ANR readers for our Wide Blue Sound Eclipse review) has now released an update to this utility, making it an even more compelling addition to any music-maker’s toolkit.
A One-Click Solution to Plugin Clutter
The Audio Plugin Uninstaller v1.1 stands out as a one-click solution for uninstalling audio plugins on Macs. It addresses a common frustration among producers: plugins install files in various locations, and each developer has their own philosophy about where these should go. This can lead to a cluttered system that’s hard to manage.
- Uninstallers Mode: This new mode reads the original installation receipts and reverses the installation process without affecting files used by other plugins.
- All Plugins Mode: For plugins without a normal receipt, this mode allows users to delete any plugin.
- Filter by Plugin Format: A new drop-down menu in All Plugins mode lets users filter by specific formats, making it easier to manage hard drive space and remove outdated formats.
- Reveal in Finder: Right-clicking on a plugin now gives the option to locate it in Finder, aiding in manual troubleshooting.
Why Choose Audio Plugin Uninstaller?
The benefits of using this tool are clear:
- Demo with Ease: Try out new plugins without the worry of long-term clutter.
- Troubleshoot Quickly: Remove plugins that cause crashes or don’t show up with a single click.
- Maintain a Zen Workspace: Keep your plugin list clean and focused by removing what you no longer need.
- Discover Hidden Files: Explore installation packages to find presets, preferences, and other files with ease.
Hands-On Impressions: A Logic Pro User’s Perspective
As a Logic Pro user with a vast collection of plugins in various formats, I decided to put the Audio Plugin Uninstaller to the test. My goal was to remove the AAX and VST versions that were simply gathering digital dust and hogging precious hard drive space.
The ‘Filter by Format’ feature, conveniently located at the bottom of the screen, proved to be a game-changer. With just a few clicks, I was able to streamline my plugin collection in mere seconds. The process was seamless, and the results were immediate.
Looking ahead, I plan to use the Audio Plugin Uninstaller to declutter some of my older AUs. While this task might take a bit more time, I’m confident that the tool will make the process far more manageable.
I must say, I’m genuinely impressed. The Audio Plugin Uninstaller truly lives up to its name, and I would wholeheartedly recommend it to anyone aiming to declutter their plugin folder. Plus, it’s FREE!
Wide Blue Sound’s Audio Plugin Uninstaller v1.1 is more than just a utility; it’s a statement on the importance of a clean, efficient workspace for creativity. It’s a must-have for any Mac-based music producer looking to maintain a streamlined digital environment. With its free price tag and robust feature set, there’s no reason not to add it to your arsenal today.
For more information and to download the Audio Plugin Uninstaller, visit the Wide Blue Sound website.
DISCLOSURE: Our posts may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we receive a commission.