GForce Software just introduced OB-E, their take on the legendary 8-Voice Oberheim SEM. More than just an emulation, OB-E offers a unique musical experience. Sounding HUGE, it takes the iconic Synthesiser Expander Module (SEM®) based 8-Voice (a.k.a EVS) into new sonic territory via a raft of enhancements and additions.
A Monster Instrument With Modern Benefits
The original instrument is a physical monster, yet the concept of the 8-Voice is actually very simple; based around a single Synthesiser Expander Module containing two VCOs with Pulse and Sawtooth waveforms, two ADS Envelope Generators, one LFO, and a magical Multi-Mode Filter. In isolation a SEM is monophonic, but in the 8-Voice, because there are eight SEMs triggered by a polyphonic keyboard, you have a superb eight-note polyphonic synthesizer.
According to the company, they’ve painstakingly emulated every section of the synth to create an authentic sounding instrument with the convenience of software control over those eight SEM modules. Mono, Poly, Unison, Split, it’s all yours now. Users also get 600+ factory Patches designed by Dave Spiers and a roster of brilliant sound designers. Even better, each patch has been tagged, categorised and is quickly accessible from the OB-E’s librarian (arrow navigation friendly).
To their knowledge, OB-E is also the first commercial virtual instrument with complete per-voice ‘octaphonic’ control to create truly huge sounds. Yet OB-E is a breeze to program thanks to the re-sizable User Interface, Zoom view, and Group & Offset edit modes.
FYI: OB-E has only been built for Mac at present, but the GForce team will guage demand for a PC version.
- Unique 8-Voice Octaphonic architecture
- An authentic sounding emulation of the Oberheim® 8-Voice
- Zero delay feedback filters
- 600 factory Patches designed to fit in a mix, all tagged and categorised
- Librarian for easy access to the presets (Arrow Keys Navigation)
- Continuous, round-robin mode where each note use a new voice
- ZOOM enlarges a single SEM with front & rear panels side by side
- Group mode to edit all Modules at once
- Individual Synthesiser Expander Module Copy, Paste and Save
- LFO, 3rd VCO doubling as a second LFO
- Multiple triggering modes; Polyphonic, Monophonic, Mono Legato, & Unison
- Fully featured analogues style MIDI Sequencer & Stereo Delay
- Upper/Low sections can be Split across the keyboard
- Extensive Velocity & Aftertouch modulation
- Polyphonic Aftertouch and MPE ready
Pricing and Availability
To celebrate the release, OB-E is priced at just £129.99 (+VAT where applicable). This time-limited offer runs until Tuesday, March 9th, 2021.
Last but not least – you can get £30 off using the coupon we mentioned earlier today in our Bright Sparks documentary feature. Don’t miss out!
Learn more about the OB-E and order it from the Gforce website.
DISCLOSURE: Our posts may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we receive a commission.