The Muscarin – New Experimental Semi-Modular Synth On Indiegogo
There’s a new, interesting synth that needs some crowdfunding love. The Muscarin is an experimental semi-modular synthesizer designed by kNoB technology, a small Russian firm.
What Is It?
The Muscarin is an analog music synthesizer, based on cross-modulation technology. It is designed as semi-modular synth and can also be part of a eurorack system.
According to the company, it is made for generating standard sounds and sound effects, as well as for extremely changing their sound while playing, converting it too complex structured noises. It has full manual hands-on controls (switches and knobs), as well as it can be controlled by CV (control voltage).
How Does It Sound?
Here are some sound demos:
– Muscarin core – 4x VCO based on square wave, cross-modulation control “Bias”, control by CV full range linear or 1v \ oct (4-octave range; 32-500 + Hz)
– LFO is a low-frequency oscillator, has two waveforms square and triangular.
– EG AR envelope generator. Can both receive an external gate signal, synchronize with the LFO, and automatically generate an envelope.
– VCF filter \ saturator 12db\oct has two modes of cutting high or low frequencies.
– VCA \ Gate-5x, voltage controlled amplifiers. They stand one on each generator before the filter and one on the common output. In their heart are the vactrols. That is very much reflected in the sound. Management of both internal and external sources of CV.
– Input and output connectors – 16x
– The front panel is made of plexiglass
– You can choose as a desktop version in a wooden case (pine, CNC milling) and as a module for eurorack without a case
The weight of the device is 600 g, height 3u, length 48HP depth 4 cm.
To support this project and order your Muscarin, please visit its Indiegogo page. It won’t break the bank, the Muscarin is pretty affordable – $320 for the eurorack version and $350 for the desktop version.
DISCLOSURE: Our posts may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we receive a commission.