After the leaks of the past few days and weeks, Moog has officially announced Grandmother, a new semi-modular analog synth with a built-in arpeggiator, sequencer and spring reverb tank.
In the company’s words, Grandmother “harkens back to Moog’s modular roots, where synthesis is not only about the end result, but the journey of discovery and experimentation.”
Fact is, Grandmother is a beginner-friendly synth (no patching required), with a VERY colorful panel (if you dig something that looks like a keyboard with a bunch of stompboxes on top, you’re gonna love it!), retro sound features and modern connectivity options.
The price is attractive. Needless to say, this ain’t no Behringer (or Arturia), but $899 is definitely not bad (especially considering the synth comes with a Fatar keybed). Plus, there’s a spring reverb and we love spring reverbs, so we’re biased!
– 100% analog synthesizer with 32-note Fatar keybed
– All normalized connections can be interrupted for full modularity
– Hardware Spring Reverb can be used to process external sounds
– 1/4” External audio input for guitars, drum machines, and more
– Easy to use Arpeggiator and Sequencer
– Store up to 3 sequences with up to 256 notes each
– 2 Analog Oscillators with selectable waveshape and hard sync
– Classic 4-Pole 10Hz-20kHz Ladder filter
– Patchable 1-Pole High Pass filter
– Analog ADSR Envelope Generator
– Analog LFO with audio-rate capabilities
– DIN MIDI In/Out/Thru and USB MIDI
– Patchable bipolar attenuator
– Works with Mother-32, DFAM, Eurorack modular systems and more
– 41 patch points with 21 inputs, 16 outputs and a Parallel-Wired 4-jack Mult
To explore the sonic possibilities and cosmic context of Grandmother, Moog visited the Linear Labs studio of artist-composer Adrian Younge (Black Dynamite, Netflix’s Luke Cage). Heads up: contains hipsterism in spades!
To read more and order the Moog Grandmother (if you’re in the US), visit this web page from Guitar Center, Moog parter for this launch. We assume the synth will soon be available worldwide through the usual Moog retailers as well.
DISCLOSURE: Our posts may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we receive a commission.